Redhawks face the Racoons in first district game

JHelmick Photography

After facing a loss to the Lions on Friday, the Redhawk football team hopes to redeem themselves and secure a win against Frisco. Last season the only district team they lost to was Frisco, and this year the team hopes for improvement.

Addyson Schick, Assistant Sports Editor

Hoping to get their first win of the year, the football team opens District 6-5A Division I play Friday at 7:00 p.m. against the Frisco High Racoons at the Ford Center.

“I mean I think that we have some talent in skill positions and you know just been able to take advantage of that,” head football coach Matt Swinnea said. “Utilizing speed which I feel like is a strength of ours, and is gonna be important moving forward. Ultimately, the goal is that we get better. Any game is really a measuring stick of you, as a team so much less about Frisco High and more about Liberty.”

Learning has been a main focus of the team as there are only 10 players with varsity experience, and with a smaller roster this year, stamina is also a main focus.

“Our roster isn’t as deep as it was last year,” sophomore Jacob Nickell said. “We don’t have as many people as we used to, and were a little thin on just players. So you know everybody’s gotta play and people are gonna get tired. We also have less experience, so these first few games have just been all about learning.”

One of just two teams the Redhawks lost to in 2021, the Racoons are a quality opponent according to Swinnea. 

“The biggest challenge is that Frisco High is a quality opponent, and when you play quality opponents your margin for error is pretty small,” he said. “And so we have to do things really really well, and execute and improve on what we have had defiscates in.”