Mock trial makes its comeback on campus

Melody Tavallaee

Mock trial is back on campus with the revival of the school’s mock trial team. Through mock trial, the team has an opportunity to work with attorneys and get experience in the court room.

Maya Silberman, Managing Editor

Arguments, strategies and objections are making their way back to campus with the revival of the school’s Competitive Mock Trial club. 

“Mock trial is a club that offers students all across America the chance to step into the shoes of lawyers or witnesses,” club sponsor Shannon Smith said. “The students are given the chance to work together to collaborate on a case, then fight that case with other schools near competition time.”

Although the school has had a team in the past, this is the first year students are able to join since COVID shut everything down in the spring of 2020.

“This year it felt like a nice time [to start the team] because we’re finally getting back from COVID,” Mock Trial vice president junior Vibha Immedisetty said. “We also wanted to start a club because this way we can also have more students do it, rather than all of them joining the CTE [Center] Mock Trial team.”

While mock trial is similar to other clubs on campus, Immedisetty feels that it provides a good option for students who have varied interests.

“Especially if you’re very outspoken and you love to debate, it’s super fun to argue with people about a specific viewpoint on a case,” Immedisetty said. “It’s kind of like debate, but you get to almost roleplay, so if people like acting it would be good for them to join.”

Additionally, the realistic aspect of mock trial holds value for many students, including president Ayaan Ali.

“Our members get to work with a team of real attorneys who help them with the case and teach them proper courtroom etiquette,” Ali said. “I [gave] mock trial a shot… my freshman year of high school and it is that decision that helped me realize that I wanted to pursue law as a career.”

To Ali, joining mock trial benefits students in many ways on top of the real life experience.

“Not only does Mock Trial look amazing on College Apps, but it is also something you can put on your resume or portfolios,” Ali said. “You also have a chance to set a legacy for students who are not yet in highschool and would want to participate in Mock Trial at Liberty one day.”

For more information on Liberty Mock Trial, students can join the Remind by texting @libmt22 to 81010.