Choir cranks up rehearsal time for All-Region auditions

Pictured: All-Region finalists pose for a picture at the TMEA-sponsored concert. After advancing past the first round of auditions and becoming All-Region finalists, several choir students prepare for phase 2 of All-State auditions Saturday at Little Elm High School beginning at 9 a.m.

Liberty Choir Instagram

Caroline Caruso, Editor-in-Chief

Back for another round, several Redhawks choir students continue in the TMEA All-State Choir competition as they prepare for Pre-Area auditions Saturday at 9 a.m.

For senior Jiya Surywanshi, the second phase of auditions brings additional pressure. 

“Being that it’s Round 2, each person auditioning must learn entirely new pieces of music and perform cuts that were released in a seven-day window prior to the audition,” Surywanshi said. “The process is pretty time intensive and can be stressful because we don’t have as long of an opportunity to rehearse as we did the first time around.” 

The short time in which to learn music has led to more intensive rehearsals for some of the choir students. 

“I have been working a lot with our choir director as much as possible,” senior Dhruv Maruvada said. “That way she can point out how I can improve myself to climb the ranks and get into the All-Region choir and later All-State and become a better singer as a whole.”

Along with practicing new music, those auditioning have also revisited the skill of sight-reading, an individual component unique to future rounds in the competition. 

“The second round of region also means we compete in a sight reading for judges,” sophomore Haley Hicks said. “I have been practicing with some friends that are [my voice part] so that I can build up my confidence.”