Opinion: Dance 1 a great way to earn athletic credit

Although the Red Rhythm drill team can be the culmination of ones high school dance career, for some students, Dance 1 is a good way to earn their athletic credit.

Sarah Philips

Although the Red Rhythm drill team can be the culmination of one’s high school dance career, for some students, Dance 1 is a good way to earn their athletic credit.

Haley Flores, Guest Contributor

One of the last chances for students to change their 2016-17 class schedules begins Friday.

Students must have at least one athletic credit in order to graduate. There are several different ways to meet this requirement, with many students choosing a school sport. However, for some girls, playing a sport isn’t the ideal situation.

One way to meet the athletic credit requirement: Dance 1. A full year in this class gives the credit.

Dance 1 teaches all types of dance and goes into each area throughout the year. Students are able to work on their dance technique while learning. To top it off, Dance 1 is the beginning level of dance and is easy for anyone interested in dance while also provide some exercise.

But Dance 1 is always picked by many students, mostly girls, on their registration cards, and  usually gets very full, very fast. With many girls wanting to join and get their credit, there can sometimes be a struggle to get every student in.

This class fills the athletic credit hole for many girls allowing them to graduate. If Dance 1 wasn’t a choice, girls would be forced to take P.E., which would likely lead to complaints from many of them. Having dance as an option for everyone is beneficial and makes it better for people not interested in playing a playing a sport or taking P.E.