Model UN club competes in state

Model UN students will be competing in the state meet Friday and Saturday in Dallas.

provided by Rahmin Jawaid

Rahmin Jawaid, Staff Reporter

The first annual Dallas Model United Nations Assembly will take place on Friday and Saturday  at the Hilton Garden Inn and Texas Woman’s University in Dallas. Students in the Model UN club will get to compete and debate with delegates from across the state of Texas.

“It’s going to be an exciting conference,” Model UN president and senior Eunise Chen said. “We hope to serve delegates with an experience that they will never forget, especially for our new delegates.”

Students previously competed in the Model UN district competition, hosted by the Youth and Government program, in November to prepare for the statewide conference. The district competition was directed by Chen and three students won Distinguished Delegate awards.

“I am really proud of how our delegation has done the past two years,” Chen said. “We are known for always doing well in competitions and we always come home with several awards.”

This weekend’s competition will have delegates placed in seven different committees, including Security Council, to discuss global issues such as international security, human rights and world health. Students will represent different countries and team up to debate ideas and come up with resolutions.

“We would like to expand the problems in foreign policy currently to the students here,” Chen said. “Most importantly, we want all delegates to form new relationships and connections with one another around the state.”