CTE Work Based Learning applications now open

Maya Silberman

The CTE Center is holding a summer job and career fair that can help students get real world experiences with interviews along with connect them to professionals in different fields.

Maya Silberman, Managing Editor

Students at the Career and Technical Education Center have the opportunity to participate in work-based learning classes, and applications are now open until Jan. 20. Students can find information on how to apply on the CTE Center’s website.

“The links to each of these forms can be found on the CTEC website during the qualification process timeline,” CTE Counselor Stacy Purl said in an email to students. “All students interested in participating in one of the courses listed below must complete the form.”

Students can apply for work-based learning for many different pathways, and the prerequisite and application requirements vary. Junior Vibha Immedisetty plans to apply for Practicum in Government.

“First you take all the prerequisites and corequisites necessary, which for me are Survey of Government, Political Science and Mock Trial,” Immedisetty said. “For the application, you need recommendations from five teachers, and one of them has to be a teacher you have had in the past in your pathway.”

Along with the work-based programs at the CTE Center, students can apply to the Collin College Dual Credit Clinical Program. Junior Eva Soto is participating in the Health Science Clinical this year.

“We had to send in three teacher recommendations, answer around 5-6 short answer response questions, and submit a video to answer more questions,” Soto said. “I believe whoever approved our applications also looked at our grades.”

Through the Collin Dual Credit Clinicals, students have the option to take multiple courses to further their medical education.

“Although I haven’t finished the course, my experience has been good so far. I’ve met some amazing people, gotten incredible opportunities like working in a nursing home and official certification,” Soto said. “I haven’t made the official choice yet, but I plan to apply for Practicum in Health Science because I’ve heard its a more in depth version of CNA and they start their clinical rounds earlier as well.”

For all pathways, the work-based learning program provides students an opportunity to get experience in fields they may want to pursue in the future.

“I decided to apply because it provides more challenging and realistic experience, and the program will help me gain some experience in a law office,” Immedisetty said. “It’s also a great opportunity for me to contact lawyers in the area and have some outreach.”