Bonuses and academic calendar discussed at December board meeting

Trisha Dasgupta

Frisco ISD has opened applications for the district committees. The applications consist of roles for the District Advisory Council, Legislative Leadership Council, Library Reconsideration Committee, Safety and Security Committee, School Health Advisory Committee, Special Education Parent Committee, and Student Advisory Committee.

Erika Pernis, Editor-In-Chief

Frisco ISD’s Board of Trustees held its monthly school board meeting Monday evening to discuss many topics including FISD employee retention bonuses and the 2023-24 calendar.

The resolution for the January 2023 retention incentive was approved with eligible employees receiving a bonus equal to $50 for each year of their time at FISD as well as the greater of 1% of their salary or $250.

Psychology teacher Tim Johannes, who’s been teaching on campus since 2006, the bonus is nice to have.

“It’s a nice bonus at the end of the calendar year to have,” Johannes said. “They do it every year, so I guess it’s expected. If they didn’t do it, that would be a little bit sad.”

After receiving comments on the school calendar, the board is postponing approval of the 2023-24 calendar until January.

For humanities teacher Sarah Wiseman, FISD’s calendar not aligning with surrounding school districts is a family struggle.

“We live in Plano, so my whole family is gonna be out starting on Friday afternoon,” Wiseman said. “So I’m gonna miss a week of Christmas vacation with them, and then they’re gonna go back to school and I’ll be out for a week. It’s just created a real childcare problem.”