Gross enhances craft with Jazz Band of America

Playing the baritone saxophone, junior Zach Gross spent his spring break playing with the Jazz Band of America.

Rahmin Jawaid

Amber Holt, Staff Reporter

Spending his spring break with some of the best Jazz Band instructors in the country, junior Zach Gross learned new techniques and enhanced his skills at Jazz Band of America, a prestigious opportunity for high school students to enhance their craft.

“I saw the competition as a good opportunity,” Gross said in a text message. “Not only to improve myself but also to make good connections to people who do what I do which could help later in life.”

Seeking out such opportunities is not unusual for Gross. Band director James Weaver has seen the way the junior approaches his music.

“Zach has always been very diligent and intent in his practice habits,” Weaver said. “He is a very talented musician who has coupled his natural abilities with a solid dose of hard work and it is paying off for him.We don’t really need to push Zach about his playing.  He takes the initiative to push himself.”

Students from all over the country submit audition videos each year and a panel of nationally-acclaimed music educators make the choice of who is best fitted for the group.

“We are all very proud of Zach. Mr. Weaver said Zach was amazing—that he had several terrific solos,” band director Marty Ball said. “I don’t know if any of our other students submitted an audition, but hope that now that they know about it, they will submit and give it a try.”

Gross was the only one selected and it was an experience he enjoyed.

“The fact that I had the ability to see the concert not as a strict concert but a time to have fun and play good music was my favorite part of going,” Zach said. “I listened to a bunch of the songs beforehand and got an idea.”