Orchestra students take ‘tart’ in bake-off

Sarayu Bongale

A bake-off was hosted in the orchestra room during advisory. There were 14 teams that baked foods for orchestra and band directors to judge.

Shreya Agrawal, Staff Reporter

Orchestra is trading instruments for baking supplies in the orchestra room during advisory on Wednesday with judges including orchestra and band directors, along with orchestra students.

“We were not expecting it to be a big event, and that is why we did it during advisory,” Assistant orchestra director Madison Waggerman said. “But actually, people are interested and it was really competitive in our classes to want to be a judge, which was also hilarious”.

For freshman Callie Yim, the bake-off is an opportunity to spend time with her friend, Diana Zhang, and share her heritage by baking matcha cookies with Zhang.

“Since the orchestra has a very diverse community of people, I think giving members an opportunity to bake things, possibly from different cultures, might have an influence on ethnicity,” Yim said.

Krish Kumar, the judge from symphonic orchestra, is thrilled to get yummy desserts during advisory.

“I’m looking forward to trying people’s food and getting to try new food,” Kumar said.