EF Tours takes learning from the classroom to a new country

Varun Saravanan, Executive Producer

Learning isn’t confined to the classroom or a textbook. Sometimes, simply experiencing something can be an adventure of learning. Now, students have the change to learn by traveling to Asia.

EF Tours offers students the change to visit various places around the world with a teacher from campus. Journalism teacher Brian Higgins chaperoned an trip to Europe last summer, and believes that the trips can help students open their world view in a wider context.

“I think oftentimes students get, and people in general get, trapped in where they are and where they live,” Higgins said. “And there’s just so much more to see in the world that I think it’s important to get out of the bubble and explore. And a trip with of tours I think is a great opportunity to do that.”

The tours include a variety of activities for students to have a better understanding of the place’s culture and history, while also providing the chance at credit for either high school or college.

Senior Alex Trevino traveled to Europe last summer and his experience with Higgins gave him an unexpected opportunity.

“In Europe, I was forced to make connections and that wasn’t necessarily a bad thing,” Trevino said. “It really opened up my opportunities, especially with my time and Wingspan, because I ended up hanging out with many of the people in Wingspan, and I met the teachers through that trip and they gave me the opportunity to be the host of Trivia.”

Higgins is planing his first EF tour, but switching gears in continents from Europe to Asia as he is hoping to take students to Japan in the summer of 2024.

So when looking at the various tours, the one that stood out to me the most was Japan,” he said “And I think this will be a great opportunity for students to visit a place that they might not visit otherwise and explore a culture that is as rich in history, if not more so than Europe.”

There will be an informational meeting for students and parents on Feb. 22 at 6:30 p.m.