Rhea of Sunshine: school size

Morgan Kong

In this weekly column, Wingspan staff reporter Rhea Advani provides her take on a variety of topics.

Rhea Advani, Staff Reporter

Does it matter which school you attend? 

As most seniors are getting ready to graduate, and announce the schools they will be attending in the fall, it made me think about the different schools itself. Does it matter if you attend a big-name school and live on a big campus, or go to a smaller, unknown campus?

As someone who has acceptances from big and small schools, I thought I would talk a little on this topic. There’s this small school up north that I was really interested in. It’s a small school in an even smaller town. But something about the campus felt so compelling to me. I talked to my parents about it, and they don’t think I’ll thrive there. I’m also looking at schools such as TAMU and USF, which are bigger schools.

My parents think that I’ll perform better academically and socially, if I’m in an area with lots of people and lots of things to do. Additionally, they think the degree I work for will hold more value if it’s from a bigger school. 

Honestly, I’m not sure what to believe. I think that everyone should attend the school that they please, but to weigh out the pros and cons of it. And at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter which school you go to, but how well you thrive there.