Girls’ soccer heads to playoffs for the first time in 5 years

Troy Williams

The girls’ soccer team enters playoffs for the first time in five years as they face the Frisco Raccoons. The team knows a challenge is ahead, but they are ready to gain a win on Thursday.

Addyson Schick, Assistant Sports Editor

For the first time in five years, the Redhawk girls’ soccer team is in the playoffs with its first game Thursday against Frisco High School at Lebanon Trail High School.

“Heading to the playoffs for the first time in a long time in the program’s history,” girls’ head coach Kyle Beggs said. “Since before I got here was the last time that they went. So just a lot of hard work over the course of the season by the girls and by the coaching staff has helped us achieve that.”

The Redhawks finished fourth in District 10-5A with a 6-4 record, while the Raccoons earned the District 9-5A championship with an 11-2 record. 

“It’s more of a challenge for us to make it into the second round of playoffs because we’re playing Frisco,” junior Cate Butcher said. “But I also think it helps because it creates more motivation for the team as a whole.”