Looking to wrangle the Mavericks, soccer takes on Emerson

Troy Williams

The Redhawk soccer teams are coming off losses to the Independence Knights. They hope to bounce back with games on Tuesday against the Emerson Mavericks.

Addyson Schick, Assistant Sports Editor

Boys’ and girls’ soccer is looking to recover from their losses against Independence, hoping to come out on top against the Emerson Mavericks on Tuesday at Emerson High School, with the girls kicking off at 5:45 p.m. and the boys at 7:15 p.m.

“We seemed to be a little unlucky, last game, at times with the way the ball bounced,” girls’ head soccer coach Kyle Beggs said. “But the team is ready to bounce back vs. Emerson tomorrow.”

The Redhawks earned a 3-0 win the last time they faced the Mavericks, but sophomore Lily Gibbons says the Redhawks need to stay level-headed.

“Yes, we had a big win against them last time, but soccer isn’t played on paper,” Gibbons said. “In the end, it comes down to who shows up to perform that night, so we just have to perform.”

The last time the boys saw the Mavericks, they ended in a 1-1 draw.

“Well, hopefully, we get to win this time, obviously,” senior Daniel Suarez said. “Last time was a tough match at home. This time we are playing them in their home, hopefully that doesn’t change anything.”

In order to get a better result this time around, Suarez believes the team needs to have a better mindset.

“Something I would change would be our attitude towards our games,” Suarez said. “Mainly we need to think that we are the better team and that we are capable of winning if we work hard enough.”