Baseball takes a swing at Heritage

Michael Martin

Taking a swing at the Coyotes, the baseball team looks to take on Heritage on Tuesday. They are coming off a loss to Lebanon Trail and are aiming to get back on track with a win.

Vaughn Perez, Sports Reporter

Baseball hit a reset over the weekend after last week’s losses, and it’s on to Heritage High School at 7:30 p.m. as the Redhawks look to improve their District 10-5A record of 2-2.

“They’re [Heritage] in second place right now, after splitting with Emerson, so I think they’re beatable, as long as we can do what we’re capable of, like how we played against Emerson over Spring Break, then we have a chance against them,” head coach Scott McGarrh said. “They’re like us, a good team, but if we can get ahead of them fast and in the early game, it’ll put us in the best position to win.”

Looking ahead to the game, the Redhawks are focusing on their pitching game and not letting Heritage’s top guys grow a lead on them.

“Heritage comes out strong when they’re at bat, so our pitchers have to focus on getting those strikes, which is easier said than done, but they need to lock in,” senior Logan Bernanke said. “If they can contain them and keep them off base, it’ll definitely help our defense stay solid every inning.”