Some seniors eligible to register and vote in upcoming local elections

Maya Silberman

With the gubernatorial elections quickly approaching, many voters, including students, have debate who to support on election day. Both candidates have placed a focus on young voters, with Beto O’Rourke capitalizing on social media and Greg Abbott connecting with young Republican networks.

Erika Pernis, Editor-in-Chief

With the City of Frisco General Election for city council places and the mayor and the Frisco ISD Board of Trustees election coming up on May 6, eligible seniors on campus have the opportunity to register and vote in these elections. 

Registration for this election closes Thursday, and early voting takes place from April 24 to May 2.

When considering candidates for the election, senior Pratham Shah looks at what a candidate will do in the long run for Frisco.

“It’ll be my first time voting, so it’s kind of cool. I just want to like, see how the process works. I’m really considering the future or like, the potential good things that candidates will do, not only for me, but also for the society.”

To senior Preston Mealy, having the opportunity to vote in more localized elections makes him feel like his voice matters.

“Voting just helps me have a voice and helps have a voice for people that can’t vote yet,” senior Preston Mealy said. “We have a say in our city, and every say matters.”

With elections for high city positions taking place, for senior Matthew Bishop voting can have a big impact on the future of Frisco.

“I think it’s important because it’s the present and the future Frisco,” senior Matthew Bishop said. “And as some of us seniors may be graduating, the future of Frisco ISD is in a way kind of in our hands. And so we get to really have a say in important decisions for people.”