April 25 Daily Update
April 25 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • April 25, 2024

WTV's Karina Grokhovskaya brings you today's news and announcements, including the Red Rhythm spring show, a physics project, and this week's...

Scoops of Joy: Ked’s Artisan Ice Cream and Desserts

Nidhi Thomas
Located in West Plano, on Coit Rd, Ked’s Artisan Ice Cream and Treats is a dessert shop that features a wide variety of flavors. They specialize in South Asian inspired desserts- which includes their malai ice cream, falooda milkshakes and ice cream.

Walking in, the vibrant pink and blue colored walls capture you. Look to the right, and the intricately designed, metallic chairs greet customers. They complement the bright colors of the room masterfully, adding to that contemporary feel. Look to the left, and there they are- rows and rows of positively delectable ice cream, splayed out in front, each pleasantly colorful. You ask for two scoops, and find a seat in the corner. You lift the spoon to your mouth, and when the sweet taste of homemade ice cream hits just right, you smile. 

Located in West Plano, on Coit Rd, Ked’s Artisan Ice Cream and Treats is that local ice cream parlor that you love. They have amazing staff that are helpful to customers and not hesitant to take precautions for people with nut allergies. And, they without a doubt succeed in fulfilling your Saturday-night ice cream cravings- in their own unique way. Their flavors are a real catch- truly one of a kind. Plus, they don’t just have ice cream, they have other desserts too- like crepes, falooda (rose syrup flavored milkshake with vermicelli and sweet basil seeds), waffles, and cake.

One of the things that really makes Ked’s stick out is their international flavors- particularly their south asian inspired desserts- which includes their malai ice cream, falooda milkshake, and falooda ice cream. Their malai ice cream is sweet, simple, and undoubtedly delicious. The cardamom provides a pleasant bit of texture and a delightful amount of flavor. Their falooda milkshake and ice cream also do not disappoint- the taste of the sweet rose syrup along with the basil seeds in each dessert is consistently interesting. 

If you’re in the mood for something more than ice cream, you should check out their crepes. They have a few different choices, a lot of which include fresh fruit, chocolate syrup, and powdered sugar. A particularly exquisite one is their Blueberry Cheesecake crepe- with cheese ice cream, blueberries, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and powdered sugar. The cheese ice cream puts a unique spin on the dish. It’s creamy and light like camembert, but sweet when you put it in your mouth- just like a well made cheesecake. 

But if you’re not a particularly adventurous eater, and want to get something more traditional- there’s something for you too. Ked’s has all the classic flavors- vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, rocky road, butterscotch, birthday cake- you name it. If you’re a sucker for ice cream, or sweet stuff in general, Ked’s Artisan Ice Cream and Treats is the place for you. With over 95 flavors of ice cream and other tasty treats, it has something for everyone. And, just as importantly, they have great customer service, with well-mannered and efficient employees. So yeah, it’s local, they have good ice cream, and nice people. It’s definitely worth a try.