• Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school

May 1 Daily Update
May 1 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • May 1, 2024

WTV's Joaquin Perez brings today's news and announcements, including dual credit, the APES wetlands project, and AP world history.

Student Council kicks of football season with new themes

Courtesy of Student Council
Student Council released a brand new set of themes for the 2023 football season, to kick off the new year. Students are encouraged to dress up at school and at the game to show their spirit.

Student Council is kicking off the 2023 football season with a brand new set of themes for game days starting with the Redhawks season opening game against Corsicana High School on Aug. 25. 

The themes were developed using a mixture of student feedback and ideas from Student Council members.

“Haley and I had students fill out a Google form, and we took their ideas into consideration,” Student Council Vice President Lily Leyden said. “We discussed our theme ideas with the student council class and teachers as well.” 

Though brand-new themes, such as the winter/ski theme, have been added this year, many themes from previous years have also been included.

“I would say my personal favorite theme is the neon game,” cheer captain, senior Malia Willingham said. “For the cheerleaders, we get to wear our neon pink uniforms with neon face paint and ribbon. I love what we get to wear but I also love seeing the student section all dressed up, and I feel like the neon game gets a lot of student involvement.”

But not all of the themes revolve around students and maximized participation. Some of the themes hold special significance to various groups and historical events.

“Our USA theme on 9/8 is to honor the victims of 9/11,” Leyden said. “Our pink-out theme on 10/6 is to honor those who have been affected by breast cancer.”

Nevertheless, themes are a way for many students to express their creativity and personal style, while still showing school spirit.

“I think I’m mostly excited to see the entire or at least most of the school come together and dress up in accordance to a theme and be creative about it because everyone has a different style of dressing up and now seeing the school come to one style is so cool to see,” sophomore Tanvia Jain said.

But for Willingham, game day themes are not only a chance to show school spirit but also a way to get to know other students. 

“I think having dress-up days for the football games not only promotes school spirit but it also connects our student body,” she said. “Students connect with each other on what to wear or compliment each other’s outfits/ideas and that creates a way for students to interact with new people!”

The ultimate goal, however, for game day themes is to include all students and develop a strong sense of school spirit.

“It is important to have these themes because it makes all students feel a part of the game even if they aren’t a football player, cheerleader, or in band or drill team,” Leyden said. “It also makes our student section more identifiable to the opposing team.”