• Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school
  • The start time for Friday's baseball playoff game against Lone Star at Independence is now 6 p.m.

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/2 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nathan Wixon.
Featured Athlete: Nathan Wixon
Neta Even, Guest Contributer

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about playing...

May 3 Daily Update
May 3 Daily Update
Lauren Pratt, Producer • May 3, 2024

WTV's Joaquin Perez brings you today's news and announcements including senior grades, school board election, and this week's edition of Real...

The Fresh Perspective: is it time to reevaluate homework’s role in education?

Lea Garcia-Salazar
In this weekly blog, The Fresh Perspective, staff reporter Lea Garcia-Salazar talks about school opinions.

In 1905, the Italian teacher Roberto Nevilis invented the concept of homework. Nevilis popularized the practice and originally, used homework as a method of punishment for students who didn’t demonstrate a good understanding of the lessons, were lazy, or disobedient. A few years later, the practice became the standard causing most teachers worldwide to implement homework into their classrooms. 

Those who support homework’s role in education argue that homework is no longer a method of punishment. Rather, homework improves learning and serves as an opportunity for students to learn various life skills. 

For supporters, homework enhances students’ learning retention. Based on Edgar Dale’s Cone of Experience made in the 1940s, neuroscientists have concluded that students retain only 50% or less of what they hear, read, or see in class

For this reason, additional engagement, usually in the form of homework, with course content can improve retention. To learn effectively, students need to practice repetition. When stimuli are learned by repetition, they are remembered better and retained for longer periods. This is because the brain forms new pathways when a task is repeated often. Repetition aids in student learning retention by boosting memory and maintaining the acquired knowledge for exams and future tests. 

Homework can also provide opportunities for students to learn various life skills such as self-discipline and organizational skills. Completing homework regularly requires discipline and helps students learn how to focus and develop self-control. Choosing to do homework instead of hanging out with friends or being on social media platforms helps students become independent and take initiative and responsibility through sacrifices. 

Homework also allows students to learn organizational skills. Students may outline key dates for homework in each class and take certain measures to ensure everything is completed on time. This organizational skill and structure helps students allocate their time accordingly. Homework teaches students self-discipline and organizational skills, both of which are important in daily life. 

Meanwhile, those who do not support homework’s current role in education often point to increased stress levels, and poor work-life balance. 

According to a Washington Post study from 2018 to 2020 analyzing over 50,000 individuals, high schoolers reported doing an average of 2.7 hours of homework per weeknight. A good rule of thumb is assigning 10 minutes of homework per grade level. Meaning that the average senior in high school should be doing a maximum of 2 hours of homework per night. It is proven that doing more than two hours of homework a night is counterproductive and can be quite harmful.

Spending too much time on homework can lead to increased stress levels, causing students to neglect physical and social needs. Research from Stanford Graduate School of Education highlighted that over 56 percent of students surveyed considered homework to be a primary source of stress. Along with this, research conducted by Stanford University demonstrated that students from high-achieving communities are likely to experience stress, physical health problems, an imbalance in their lives, and isolation from society. A lot of homework can result in students being burnt out, unable to relax, and stressed.

Excessive homework promotes an unhealthy work-life balance. In addition to the physical health problems students with more homework may face, students with higher stress levels also lack balance in their lives. Learning how to maintain a work-life balance is essential to obtaining overall well-being and happiness. Maintaining a work-life balance means students can exert more control over their time and energy. Consequently, they feel more in control of both their academic and personal lives. 

A great example of a country reevaluating homework’s role in education is Finland. Finland is one of the top education systems in the world and their students receive nearly no homework. This is because Finnish people believe that students having dinner with their families, exercising, or getting a good night’s sleep can also improve their performance in school. 

While some amount of homework may help students’ retention, and development of life skills, too much homework can have detrimental effects. Students with too much homework have elevated stress levels and poor work-life balance. For this reason, it is time to reevaluate the role of homework in education and ensure other aspects of student’s lives are also being recognized and given time.