Campus Connections: Viviana Espinoza

Many new staff members are on campus for the 2023-24 school year, and in Campus Connections, Wingspan introduces you to the newest Redhawks.
Campus Connections takes a look at some of the newest staff members on campus.
Maddie Owens

Viviana Espinoza is a new teacher on campus who teaches biology and also coaches wrestling. She attended the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley and has now been teaching for seven years. Despite teaching biology, Espinoza says she was always better at English when she was a student, however, her love for science grew as she attended college. Wingspan caught up with Espinoza to get her take on coaching, and teaching. 

Wingspan: What’s it like being a wrestling coach and a teacher?

Espinoza: “It is busy for sure. But it’s something that I absolutely love. I start my day with something that I love and then I go back to teaching which is cool.”

Wingspan: Have you always wanted to become a teacher?

Espinoza: “No, I come from a family of teachers. I didn’t think that was gonna be my path up until my senior year of college, I was like y’know what I’m going to try the teaching route”

Biology teacher and wrestling coach Viviana Espinoza joins new staff members to The Nest for the 2023-24 school year. Wingspan caught up with Espinoza to get her take on coaching, and teaching. (Jamie Ross)

Wingspan: When did you decide you wanted to become a teacher?

Espinoza: “My senior year in college. I was going to go into physical therapy, it was a lot of extra work. So, I figured let me try the teaching route and I actually really liked it.”

Wingspan: Why do you teach biology?

Espinoza: “It’s just more interesting than other content, it’s fun because I can teach labs, and it’s  something out of the norm.”

Wingspan: When you were in high school did you participate in any clubs or sports?

Espinoza: “Yes. I did wrestling and powerlifting all four years. Then, I did track, I did shotput and discus. I also did college shot put and discus.

Wingspan: If you could be something other than a teacher, what would you be?

Espinoza: “I love animals, I’ve always wanted to work with animals in some way. So, anything just helping around with animals.”

Wingspan: If you could teach another subject, what would you teach and why?

Espinoza: “I wouldn’t mind teaching English. I do like reading, I like poetry and stuff like that. So anything along the lines of that, so maybe like creative writing, that would be cool.”

Wingspan: Do you tell yourself any affirmations to motivate yourself, if so what are they?

Espinoza: “Absolutely, every single day. I tell myself if it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you. And that’s something I have to think of every single day because every day is different. So, if it’s a challenge I try not to be down on myself and actually say it’s gonna change me.”