Campus Connections: Neil Grobler

Many new staff members are on campus for the 2023-24 school year, and in Campus Connections, Wingspan introduces you to the newest Redhawks.
Campus Connections takes a look at some of the newest staff members on campus.
Maddie Owens

The Redhawks tennis team has a new coach as Neil Grobler is taking over the program this year. Having previously coached at Round Rock High School, Grobler previously worked in healthcare for a couple of years before becoming a tennis coach. Wingspan sat down with Grobler to find out more about his past experiences and what led him to campus. 

Wingspan: Can you describe the work and effort it takes to coach tennis?

For this school year, the Redhawks tennis team gained a new tennis coach. Wingspan sat down with Grobler to find out more about his past experiences and what led him to campus.
(Provided by Neil Grobler)

Grobler: “There is a lot of behind the scenes work that has to happen outside of normal work hours. Also helping out with our high school program as well as heading up the middle school program definitely takes quite a bit of time and effort. The nice thing is I’m absolutely crazy about tennis, so as the famous quote goes – do something you love & you’ll never work a day in your life.”

Wingspan: Is there any particular reason you chose to coach tennis? 

Grobler: “I grew up playing competitive tennis all around the state of Texas. It has just been a sport that has played a big part in my life since I was a young age. I even met my wife on the tennis court in college!”

Wingspan: What are your hobbies in your free time?

Grobler: “Playing tennis, watching all types of sports, spending time with my wife and dogs – usually outside on long walks/park hikes, traveling, DIY projects.”

Wingspan: Before coming here, which school did you teach at? And could you tell us your experience there?

Grobler: “Round Rock HS was a large school (nearly 4,000 students). I was most recently the head coach of a successful tennis program at RRHS as well. I really enjoyed my time there, and felt I left the program in a really good place & did all I could to improve the program overall.”

Wingspan: Is there a reason you chose to work in healthcare before education?

Grobler: “I have always valued the act of helping others in their down moments. This drew me to physical therapy.”

Wingspan: Can you tell us why you chose to switch careers from healthcare to public education?

Grobler: “After ~5 years in healthcare, I found that I was enjoying the mentoring aspect of my profession more than the day to day grind. I had the opportunity to work with doctoral candidates (DPT) and mentor them during their clinical rotations – this was becoming the most enjoyable aspect of my work. I had the conversation with my wife ,& with her support, decided to switch into a field that provided me the opportunity to mentor full time – teaching & coaching!”