• Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/2 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nathan Wixon.
Featured Athlete: Nathan Wixon
Neta Even, Guest Contributer

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about playing...

May 2 Daily Update
May 2 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • May 2, 2024

WTV's Sadie Johnson brings you today's news and announcements, including NHS voting, UIL academics, and this week's edition of My Life As.

The Fresh Perspective: the need for environmental education

Lea Garcia-Salazar
In this weekly blog, The Fresh Perspective, staff reporter Lea Garcia-Salazar talks about school opinions.

A comprehensive environmental curriculum in education has never been more important, with issues such as deforestation, plastic pollution, biodiversity loss, and water scarcity on the rise. The world faces an abundance of ecological crises that demand urgent attention and immediate action. Education provides young minds with the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in society. Environmental education would help navigate and address these pressing environmental issues. 

Many of the principles and values outlined in advocating for comprehensive environmental education are embodied in the AP Environmental Science course. College Board’s class covers a wide range of topics crucial to understanding environmental issues, making it a valuable addition to a school’s curriculum.

However, only 7,000 out of 27,155 high schools in the U.S. offer the AP Environmental Science program which is fewer than AP Biology or AP Chemistry

Not to mention, the AP Environmental exam alone costs $98 (not including textbook costs, AP preparation, etc). 

Highlighting AP Environmental Science as an excellent model of environmental education is essential, but acknowledging its limitations is crucial too. While AP Environmental Science provides a comprehensive understanding of environmental issues, its accessibility remains a concern for many students. As previously stated, not all schools offer this course, and the associated costs might make it inaccessible to some, limiting its potential impact on a broader student population.

Schools should prioritize accessible environmental education as a cornerstone of their academic programs before irreversible damage is done to the planet.

Environmental education goes beyond learning the names of plants or understanding the water cycle. Environmental education is a holistic approach that helps students fully understand their environment and build the knowledge and skills necessary to address complex environmental issues. The course helps students master critical-thinking skills that will help them evaluate issues and make informed decisions. 

Environmental education is important as it brings awareness to ecological issues, prepares students for the future, and encourages innovation and problem-solving. 

Including environmental education in the curriculum helps raise awareness of ecological crises. Students who are exposed to environmental education become more aware of issues affecting our environment and connect with it. Environmental awareness is critical to preserve the natural resources that are essential to our well-being and quality of life and reduce the destruction of Earth.

Environmental education would provide students with knowledge about critical environmental issues and would encourage them to make lifestyle changes that contribute to environmental conservation. 

Nurturing environmental literacy from an early age cultivates a generation of conscientious citizens and prepares them for the future. The next generation will inherit the consequences of today’s environmental decisions. Integrating environmental education into the school curriculum will prepare students to become leaders, policymakers, and innovators who prioritize sustainability and implement eco-friendly solutions.

Gen Z is among the generations most concerned with climate change. According to the Pew Research Center, 76% of US Gen Zers consider climate change to be one of their biggest concerns, and 37% say it is their top concern. 

Environmental education in public schools would increase Gen Z’s concern and better prepare them to address these challenges.

Lastly, environmental education would encourage innovation and critical problem-solving skills. Research consistently shows that environmental education would have a profound impact on nurturing specific abilities. According to the NAAEE, hands-on environmental learning experiences promote creativity and innovation. In these experiences, students are encouraged to think outside the box, explore multiple perspectives, and develop innovative solutions.

Research from EPA indicates that integrating environmental education into the curriculum positively impacts students’ problem-solving abilities. Students apply scientific principles to gather and propose solutions to environmental issues which helps with their problem-solving skills in a practical context.

As the world grapples with escalating ecological crises, the urgency for comprehensive accessible environmental education in schools has never been more critical. Environmental education stands as a beacon of hope in equipping the next generation with awareness, preparation for the future, and problem-solving.