April 25 Daily Update
April 25 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • April 25, 2024

WTV's Karina Grokhovskaya brings you today's news and announcements, including the Red Rhythm spring show, a physics project, and this week's...

Last chance to drop AP and Advanced classes on Thursday

Students’ last chance to drop AP and Advanced classes is Thursday at 4:30 p.m.

The window for students to drop their Advanced and AP classes for the upcoming semester closes Thursday at 4:30 p.m.

The drop period allows students to change their schedule from an Advanced or AP class to an on-level class, or if none is available, to early release, late arrival, or another class as determined by the student’s counselor and credit situation.

“The drop window is a great opportunity because at least for me, I thought I was ready for an advanced course, but after a couple of months I discovered that a slower option would be better for me,” sophomore Olivia Pulley said. “It was super helpful to have a later drop window because it allowed me to take a more appropriate course even after the first drop window had passed.”

For AP Environmental Science and Biology teacher Richard Sabatier, it is best when students talk with their teacher prior to dropping a class.

“I think you need to have a conversation first,” Sabatier said. “A lot of the time I think that a student should stay in the class, like if the student is struggling but will still earn credit, I recommend that they stay in the class. Your teacher knows you and how you’re doing, so they can help find what’s best for you.”

There are also many advantages to taking AP classes outside of the test.

“There’s a lot of benefits you get from an AP course,” Sabatier said. “You may pass the test, or you may not, but getting that rigorous coursework and getting to see what a college class is like is huge.”

The drop form is available for students online on the Counselors Corner Website until 4:30 p.m. on Thursday.

“It’s super nice to have another opportunity to drop a class, because it gives you another chance to evaluate your stress levels and proficiency in the course, and then make a decision best suited to your learning path,” Pulley said.