April 25 Daily Update
April 25 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • April 25, 2024

WTV's Karina Grokhovskaya brings you today's news and announcements, including the Red Rhythm spring show, a physics project, and this week's...

The Fresh Perspective: the benefits of small class sizes

Lea Garcia-Salazar
In this weekly blog, The Fresh Perspective, staff reporter Lea Garcia-Salazar talks about school opinions.

Educational Testing Services (ETS) researcher Harold Wenglinsky compared fourth- and eighth-grade NAEP (National Assessment of Educational Progress) math results to class size and other policy initiatives. In his research, Wenglinsky defined small class sizes as fewer than 20 students. 

Throughout his research, he found the smaller classes performed better than those in large classes, and students in large classes were one-third of a grade level behind their peers in small classes. This research stayed true when taking into account demographics, resources, and cost of living.

Despite this, class sizes are still a growing issue among educators today. These educators are reporting feeling overworked and exhausted by having to teach classes packed with students with increasing needs. For these reasons, talking about the need for smaller class sizes is important in education. 

Small classes can lead to improved student-teacher interaction and an overall positive impact on academic achievement. 

According to Furman University, small classes enhance student-teacher interactions. Educators can identify strengths and weaknesses and guide students to improve their performance. Teachers in small classrooms can also ensure everyone feels included and encourage their students to participate in class discussions; leading to a faster and more efficient learning process. Along with this, a small classroom creates a positive student-teacher relationship relying on respect, valuing the individuality of each student, and being kind and polite. Positive interactions between teachers and their students play an important role in determining student success. Forming these crucial bonds in small classrooms results in increased opportunities for one-on-one interaction, enhanced personalized learning experiences, and greater teacher awareness of individual student needs. 

According to the NCTE, research shows that students in smaller classes perform better in all subjects and on all assessments when compared to their peers in larger classes. There is usually a one to two-month advantage in content knowledge and standardized test scores in smaller classes. It has been proven that students learn faster and perform better in smaller classes. This can be attributed to a multitude of factors such as more appropriately adapted coursework, better communication, increased participation, etc. 

Those who oppose making class reduction a priority worry about the increased cost of making this change. While it’s true that reducing class sizes may include additional expenses, studies have shown that the long-term benefits, such as improved student achievement and reduced need for remediation, can outweigh the initial costs. Investing in education is an investment in the future, contributing to a more skilled and productive workforce.

Research consistently shows that smaller class sizes have a positive impact on student-teacher interactions and increased student achievement. In spite of the fact that opponents may raise concerns about the increased cost, studies have shown that investing in smaller classes has long-term benefits that outweigh the negatives.