• Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school

May 1 Daily Update
May 1 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • May 1, 2024

WTV's Joaquin Perez brings today's news and announcements, including dual credit, the APES wetlands project, and AP world history.

Love, Haley: The Proposal

Haley W
In this series of Love, Haley, senior Haley ward reviews a rom com each day leading up to Valentine’s day. For day one, she reviews a classic rom com: When Harry Met Sally.

The Proposal starts out in the “rom com city” of New York. But most of the movie actually takes place in a much more scenic area of the country, Alaska.

The movie surrounds Margaret, played by Sandra Bullock, and Andrew, played by Ryan Reynolds. Margaret is a book editor that is soon to be deported back to Canada, so she blackmails her assistant Andrew into marrying her so she can stay in America and continue working at the company. 

This new ‘engagement’ takes the couple to Sitka, Alaska, where they meet Andrew’s entire family. As you can imagine, the two end up falling for each other during the trip despite their hatred for each other just a few days before.

My honest opinion is that this movie was a little slow and Margaret and Andrew did not really seem to have a lot of chemistry, even when they were ‘in love’. I think the story progressed really slow and then out of nowhere they suddenly loved each other, and it did not feel very natural. I don’t mean that the movie was unenjoyable, because it definitely was. But it was definitely a very slow rom com, and I believe the romance between the two fell short.

The scenery and setting was a plus to the movie. Most rom coms take place in a city, so this one was unique in that aspect. The beautiful Alaska scenery was one of my favorite things about this movie! The proposal features Betty White as the ‘gammy’, and as the legend she is, she was a great addition to the movie. Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds always give great performances, I just think they were not the best pair for a rom com together.

I rate this movie four out of five hearts. I’d say this is the perfect rom com to watch with your mom (the person I watch all my rom coms with)! It is a relaxing movie and you will definitely have a couple laughs.

Love, Haley