March 1 Daily Update
March 1 Daily Update
Lauren Pratt, Producer

WTV's Neta Even brings you today's news and announcements...

The Weekly: spring fashion

March 1 Daily Update
March 1 Daily Update
Lauren Pratt, Producer • March 1, 2024

WTV's Neta Even brings you today's news and announcements including FISD's job fair, NHS applications and this week's edition of Real Talk.

Facets of Faith: gatekeeping

Faith Brocke
Managing editor Faith Brocke expresses their emotions and experiences in their column, Facets of Faith.

I didn’t understand the concept of gatekeeping until pretty recently.

To me, it was always kind of obnoxious, but now that Victoria Monét is a three time Grammy winner, her tour ticket prices are gonna be absolutely insane, and I’m not dealing with it well.

Listen, I get it. Nothing can ever truly be gatekept. That’s fine! Sharing things with those you love that matter to you, whether that’s an artist who has yet to receive their flowers or a really good skincare product is fine. You’re making their life better in some way!

But why has the price of oxtail gone up so drastically? Stop putting it in those What-I-Eat-In-A-Day TikToks y’all. I do not want to see it—save some for the rest of us!

The funniest thing is when the internet catches on to the fact that something has escaped gatekeeping treatment and they go on the attack. Why are we lying about oxtail spreading disease? It’s hilarious.

The most annoying experience is probably watching a product that works perfectly for Black hair, more specifically 4c, get sold out routinely because people with looser curl patterns have started to use it. 

Not that I’m bitter, or that I’ve experienced that, or anything.

There’s so many products for other hair types. Why can I not find my favorite leave-in-conditioner plus heat protectant combo anywhere? It’s crazy.

Yes, gatekeeping is spiteful in nature. That being said, I care very little about that.

From this point forward I will only be revealing the secrets of my Spotify Wrapped, hair and skin routines, and favorite recipes when I am paid a minimum of $20 to my Venmo.

(I’m only half joking.)

Shout from the rooftops about your favorite things—you just won’t find me on those same rooftops. Especially about curl defining products. Protecting my peace and joy  (#BLACKHISTORYMONTH).