• Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school
  • The start time for Friday's baseball playoff game against Lone Star at Independence is now 6 p.m.

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/2 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nathan Wixon.
Featured Athlete: Nathan Wixon
Neta Even, Guest Contributer

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about playing...

Wingspan’s Featured Athlete for 4/18 is tennis player, sophomore Anya Krishna (second from the left).
Featured Athlete: Vivianne Haggard
Ale Gonzalez, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing tennis? Haggard:...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 4/4 is varsity track and field athlete, sophomore Cecelia Rowe.
Featured Athlete: Cecelia Rowe
Zachary Moland, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start participating...

View All
May 3 Daily Update
May 3 Daily Update
Lauren Pratt, Producer • May 3, 2024

WTV's Joaquin Perez brings you today's news and announcements including senior grades, school board election, and this week's edition of Real...

The Fresh Perspective: is taking a gap year worth it? 

Lea Garcia-Salazar
In this weekly blog, The Fresh Perspective, staff reporter Lea Garcia-Salazar talks about school opinions.

Picture tossing your graduation cap into the air, saying goodbye to friends, teachers, and the familiar hallways you’ve walked through for the past four years. But what comes next? According to a New York Post poll, one-third of Americans were once in the same boat; revealing they had no plan after graduating from school – college or high school. Some of these people may choose to do a gap year immediately after high school graduation. But is this decision worth it? The answer varies by circumstance but it has both its benefits and drawbacks. 

A gap year, also called a sabbatical year, is a period in which students take a break from their studies, typically between high school graduation and college. The practice first started in Europe in the 17th century when students from elite British families would take a “grand tour“ hoping to expand beyond their “bubble” by visiting cultural institutions, and cities, researching history, art, architecture, and speaking languages they had studied in school. Since then, the interest in the practice has grown and expanded beyond Europe; peaking the interest of many students and colleges across the United States. The Gap Year Association estimates that on average, between 40,000 and 60,000 students take a gap year each academic year. That number rose to an estimated 130,000 students during the 2020-2021 school year, according to the organization.

Despite its rising popularity among graduates, many still question the value of taking a gap year. On one hand, the gap year aids students in personal growth and self-discovery as well as in gaining real-world experience. On the other, a gap year may delay academic or career progression and there may be challenges in staying motivated and productive for students. 

Taking a gap year is a great opportunity for growth and self-discovery. Taking the time to plan gap year activities encourages students to be independent, and resourceful and increases their self-confidence. This opportunity also offers students countless chances to step outside their comfort zones and explore new horizons. Whether it’s traveling to exotic destinations, volunteering for a cause they care about, or diving into a new hobby or skill, the lack of academic or professional obligations allows for an empowering journey of uninterrupted exploration.

A gap year can also help students gain real-world experiences. Some life lessons just can’t be taught through a textbook or lecture. For this reason, a gap year may be beneficial for students who thrive in hands-on environments. Whether through internships, volunteer work, travel, or work experiences, students can gain practical skills and knowledge that can be applied to their future academic and career pursuits. A gap year may allow students to explore different career paths before committing and may provide students with a chance to network with professionals in their areas of interest. 

On the other hand, a gap year may delay academic or career progression for students. While a gap year allows students to take time off before beginning their academic studies, it also means that they will start their higher education later than their peers who enroll immediately after high school. This delay may affect their graduation timeline and entry into the workforce leaving some feeling “behind” and compared to their peers “left out” from some experiences. 

A gap year may also result in students facing some challenges in staying motivated and productive. Returning to school after a year-long break can disrupt a student’s academic momentum, making it hard to re-engage with their studies or adjust to the stress of academic life after a long period away from the classroom.

The decision to take a gap year after high school graduation is an important one, with both its benefits and drawbacks. On one hand, a gap year offers students the opportunity for personal growth, self-discovery, and real-world experiences that can shape their future academic and career paths. However, it’s essential to recognize that a gap year may also delay academic or career progression and may make it challenging to stay motivated and productive upon returning to academic studies. Ultimately, whether a gap year is worth it depends on individual circumstances, goals, and priorities. The pros and cons must be weighed thoughtfully so students can make an informed decision about whether or not a gap year aligns with their aspirations and aspirations for the future.