April 25 Daily Update
April 25 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • April 25, 2024

WTV's Karina Grokhovskaya brings you today's news and announcements, including the Red Rhythm spring show, a physics project, and this week's...

Love, Haley: tips for the sophomores

Haley Ward
In this weekly blog, senior Haley Ward shares a little bit of everything: deep dives on her favorite topics, her fashion favorites, and how to make the most out of your high school years.

A couple months ago I made a post directed towards freshmen, just giving them some tips from someone who’s been in their place. But today I am giving some tips for the sophomores, the grade that most people tend to overlook. While it may be over halfway through the school year, it’s never too late to try something new! I loved my sophomore year, and it contributed heavily to where I am now!

Take the fun electives

If you are an incoming sophomore, take as many fun electives as you can. Next year you can get early release or late arrival, so this is the year for you to fill up your schedule with fun things. You have to be at school the full day anyways! My sophomore year I took ceramics and floral design, and even journalism and look where that took me! Just take electives that seem fun, they do not necessarily have to be the ones all of your friends are doing. You can meet even more people through different electives.

Get social in your classes

I know it sounds pretty basic, but talking to people in your classes is really important. I had my most fun classes forsure sophomore year, just because of the people I talked to, especially in core classes. It was my first year in Journalism and I knew no one, but by the second semester I had made such good friends with two of my classmates and it made the class so much more enjoyable! Do not be afraid to speak to people you do not know!

Think towards leadership positions

Now is the year to join new clubs and organizations, especially if you are looking for leadership positions in these when you get to be an upperclassman. Do not just join something for a title, but think about where you want to be in a couple of years! A lot of applications open your sophomore year, for example NHS and Student Council. Join whatever organizations you want, and you’ll see down the line if you want to continue them and possibly hold a leadership position! I never expected to be an Editor-in-Chief for Wingspan, but over time I realized I really enjoyed writing for the newspaper. Take a chance on different things!

Study!

Everyone talks about junior year being the hardest, but the truth is it honestly depends on your classes. I found sophomore year to be one of the more challenging years in high school, but it differs for everyone. Nonetheless, sophomore year grades are still really important to your GPA and you should try your hardest to keep those grades up! Also do not focus on taking 10 AP classes. These classes are not really going to benefit you if you are getting low grades! Be realistic with yourself!

Spend time with your friends!

A lot of people are getting their license sophomore year, and you have a ton more freedom than you probably did freshman year. Take advantage of this time and hangout with your friends and go to those after school games! You’re only in high school for so long!

Sophomore year feels like a filler year, but it was one of the best years to me! You are not a freshman anymore, but you are not an upperclassman yet. The perfect year to find what you enjoy and meet more people on campus! Take my tips with a grain of salt, everyone is different and will navigate high school in their own way!

Love, Haley