Storage room becomes art gallery

Art students now have a place to display their work on campus with Wednesdays opening of Studio NO.2.

Rahmin Jawaid

Art students now have a place to display their work on campus with Wednesday’s opening of Studio NO.2.

Reilly Martens, Staff Reporter

Smooth white walls decorated with neatly hung student projects conceal the repository past the room had once held. The former office, then storage room, and current Studio NO.2 art gallery was inspired by a similar project carried out in art teacher Fred Rodriguez’s college.

“I remember Mr Warstler telling me, why don’t you guys do something crazy in this room?,” Rodriguez said. “That always kind of stuck with me, and then I had the idea of what if we turn this into a gallery space where kids could potentially have single, group, or class shows, all through the year. They can own it and show their artwork throughout instead of just putting it on the walls.”

The AP 2D art class spent weeks getting the studio ready but thinks the effort is worth it.

“We work very hard on our pieces,” junior Kristin Kirk said. “But only a few people get to see them. So I think the studio will help us show our artwork to a bigger audience and be able to reach more people.”

Art student Kendall Zapoli believes the art studio is about more than displaying their work.

“The best part would be seeing the class grow together,” junior Kendall Zapoli said. “And help each other out. We all put ourselves into this, and made something we are proud of.”

Studio NO.2  is located in room H102 in the art hallway and is open to all students starting today.