April 29 Daily Update
April 29 Daily Update
Karina Grokhovskaya, WTV Executive Producer • April 29, 2024

WTV's Kathryn Murphy brings you today's news and announcements including early voting ending, closed advisory, and this week's edition of trivia.

The time is here, prom is on Saturday

provided by Maggie Wang
When class of 2023 graduate Eujin Chung hired Eminence to take her prom photos, she was amazed at Wang’s and Vallampati’s talents. “I got great pictures and it was really fun because they’re super easygoing and creative,” Chung said. “My favorite part was how fun they made the experience just with their personalities and jokes.”

Seniors on campus will get to attend prom tomorrow from 8-11 p.m.  at Verona Villa in Frisco, a marked difference from previous years.

“So the student body is a lot smaller this year and the prices at the W had gotten very, very steep, so we had to look at relocating for you know price reasons,” principal Stacey Whaling said.

In Whaling’s opinion, the change is beneficial in cutting costs for the school, increasing convenience and ease of travel for students, and providing students a fun experience.

“I did have a lot of students talk about how difficult it was to get downtown, especially if they weren’t part of party bus or something like that or a limo,” Whaling said. “[The new location is] super nearby, which is great, but not so close to school, so it’s like a little bit off the beaten path and it’s a really beautiful location. It’s got two large ballrooms, we get the whole place to ourselves, it’s got a really great outside area, which is fun, which the W didn’t have. So, it should be a great night!”

For many students, the preparation for prom night started weeks in advance, as they bought the clothing and accessories and made plans with friends, culminating with the big day tomorrow.

“I bought my prom dress and shoes a few weeks ago, bought new makeup at Sephora, and made detailed plans in preparation for prom,” senior Eliana Lainez Garcia said. 

But plans for the big night aren’t just limited to the dance; many students are carving out time to spend with friends outside the school-hosted event.

“For prom my friend group and I are going to start the day by getting ready, then we will take pictures, then we will go eat dinner, and lastly, we will go to the dance,” senior Saanvi Bhasin said.

For some, the appeal of prom lies in the opportunity to dress up and have fun with friends.

“I am most excited about wearing my dress and getting ready for prom with all my friends,” Bhasin said. “I think my favorite part of prom will be taking pictures and having dinner with my friends.”

For Whaling, prom is a fun opportunity to watch students get dressed up and bond over clothing.

“I’ve always looked forward to seeing what everybody is wearing,” Whaling said. “It’s always fun to hear everybody talking about what they’re going to wear, but then getting to see everybody with their new outfits and seeing what kind of shoes the boys put on, and how everybody does their hair. What everybody puts together is just fun to see.”

But for many seniors, prom is one last hurrah before going to college, especially as the school years draws to a close, allowing them to spend time making memories with friends and peers.

“I am attending prom because I think it’s a really fun way to see everyone I’ve gone to high school with before the year ends,” Lainez Garcia said. “Prom is also a great chance to dress fancy, eat good food, and celebrate a great school year. I’m really excited to celebrate the end of my high school experience with my friends at prom. It’s a little bittersweet since it’s a reminder that high school is ending but also really awesome that I get to go to college next.”