• Redhawks UIL Science takes 1st place as a team at state
  • Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/9 is varsity football player, sophomore Connor Johnson.
Featured Athlete: Connor Johnson
Neta Even, Guest Contributor

Wingspan: What position do you play in football? Johnson:...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/2 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nathan Wixon.
Featured Athlete: Nathan Wixon
Neta Even, Guest Contributer

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about playing...

Wingspan’s Featured Athlete for 4/18 is tennis player, sophomore Anya Krishna (second from the left).
Featured Athlete: Vivianne Haggard
Ale Gonzalez, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing tennis? Haggard:...

View All
May 16 Daily Update
May 16 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • May 16, 2024

WTV's Kathryn Murphy brings you today's news and announcements, including graduation rehearsal and this week's edition of Real Talk.

Facets of Faith: eighteen

Faith Brocke
Managing editor Faith Brocke expresses their emotions and experiences in their column, Facets of Faith.

I do not want to turn eighteen.

I would love to say I’m not the kind of person who mourns their childhood, but in a world that tells you it only gets harder as you grow older, it’s impossible to be anything else.

The last time that I enjoyed growing up was when I turned fourteen. My seventeenth birthday was only fun because I decided to use it as a tribute to the nearing death of my childhood.

I went to Chuck E. Cheese. And no, that’s not a joke. I went, and loved it. Being way too old for everything there alongside my friends was more fun than anything I could’ve thought of. 

It doesn’t help that I’m so in tune with my childish interests. Cartoons and figurines and origins of fairy tale lore have always fascinated me, and will continue to well into the future.

It’s weird knowing that I’m stepping into the same bubble that all the adults in my life have walked so comfortably through. 

I don’t want a birthday party, I don’t wanna grow up, I don’t want to be eighteen. I don’t want to be told I’m ‘too old’ for something. I don’t wanna leave anything behind.

I’ve seen so many baby pictures of myself recently, ones I didn’t even know existed. 

It’s insane that one day, pictures of me at seventeen will feel the same as staring at myself swimming in a t-shirt after a summer day camp at the age of seven.

Change has always been a huge struggle for me. Even when the change was needed, even when it was better. I’d always yearn for the comfort of everything I’ve ever known.

But this feels deeper than nostalgia, this feels like something I’m meant to resist

But I can’t. Because if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that you can’t stop time. Either you start running, or you get left behind.

But it’d be nice if I could freeze the world for a while.