Awards to recognize seniors for ‘hard work’

Graduating seniors will receive school awards and recognition for independent scholarships.

Brooke Colombo, Staff Reporter

Before the class of 2016 walks the stage for graduation on June 4, the school will be honoring their academic accomplishments at Wednesday’s annual Senior Awards Night.

The ceremony begins at 6:30 p.m., but seniors being recognized are asked to arrive from 6:00-6:15 p.m. in order check in at the recipient table in the competition gym. Students attending are also asked to dress professionally for the event.

“Students who are receiving academic awards and scholarships have invested an immense amount of  time and energy into their high school career,” counselor Andrea Douglas said. “It is important that they receive recognition for that hard work.”

The awards are a recognition of accomplishments thus far, but can also be an indicator of future performance.

“The academic awards that students receive help students show perspective colleges how committed they are to their education,” Douglas said. “Hopefully, they continue to work hard in college, and in their careers, knowing that people notice and respect those that have a strong work ethic.”