Working as a freelance camera operator, broadcast teacher Brian Higgins found himself unexpectedly getting a brief cameo in the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders' newest reality show: America’s Sweethearts: Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Working as a freelance camera operator, broadcast teacher Brian Higgins found himself unexpectedly getting a brief cameo in the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders’ newest reality show: America’s Sweethearts: Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
provided by Brian Higgins

Broadcast teacher makes an appearance with America’s Sweethearts

Categories:

Thunderstruck by AC/DC plays over the speakers.

Their signature blue and white uniforms strut across the field.

The familiar sight of the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders (DCC) appears across the screens in their newest reality show: America’s Sweethearts: Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders

But spotted in “Episode 4: God Loves Dallas”, a familiar face for students and staff can be found shooting the DCC’s auditions: broadcast teacher Brian Higgins.

“I just happened to be the guy shooting the [DCC] auditions that day,” Brian Higgins said. “Netflix was there and for whatever reason I looked over and saw the camera on me. I was a little bit surprised, and the first thought I had was ‘no way they’ll use that.’ ”

Higgins’ most recognizable moment on the show is a :03-:04 second headshot (Episode 4 approximately 40:35) featuring him operating the camera that shows the candidates on the video board at the Ford Center at The Star

“They like to see the candidates in front of them in person obviously, but they like to see what they’re going to look like on the huge video board at AT&T Stadium,” Higgins said. “They hire a camera person that can shoot the audition process and shoot the candidates going through their various routines, and then they put it up on the big video board. My guess is that it helps them get a visual for what the candidates will look like on game days at AT&T Stadium.”

Higgins’ unexpected appearance on the show was a result of the connections he made through his freelance job as a camera operator for various events.

“Over the years, I’ve done a ton of high school football games at the Ford Center, and I’ve made some connections with the people who hire freelance camera guys for various events,” Higgins said. “Through that, I’ve picked up Cowboys games and other games and events at AT&T Stadium and other venues in the area. Last year and this year, I just happened to be a person that was open and free and could run the camera for DCC auditions.”

Before he even knew the show had been released, Higgins was already hearing from family, friends, and colleagues about his brief cameo. 

“I’ve probably heard from 30 to 40 people ‘Hey, I saw you on Netflix,’ but it took me a while to get around to watching it and I jokingly blame my daughter Piper for that,” Higgins said. “So, my daughter and I had watched one episode, and…I had already seen myself in the background in a couple little spots leading up to it. But then a few weeks later, we finally got to episode four, I was sitting at home on the couch, and I look up and I see myself on my TV. It was just very surreal, because ironically, I’m not someone that likes to necessarily be on camera.”

For AP World History teacher Kristen Mayfield, who grew up watching the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making The Team, spotting Higgins in the show was a surprise.

“It was cool, but it was funny as well,” Mayfield said. “I know he filmed for the Cowboys but just seeing him on a show with cheerleaders so it was just kind of funny. It made sense because I know he does a lot of filming outside of school but I just wasn’t expecting him to be in the show because he’s always behind the camera.”

Students such as sophomore Mari Vanacour had a similar reaction spotting their teacher in such a popular show.

“I was mostly in shock because it was around 10:30 p.m. when he popped up on my TV and I thought it was just a person who looked like him until I rewinded and paused on his face,” Vanacour said. “I didn’t expect it, but it does make sense because in class he talks about filming for the Cowboys.”

For Higgins, seeing himself on the show has been both surreal and unexpected, adding a fun twist to his minor involvement in the audition process.

“It’s just weird, and it’s hard to describe,” Higgins said. “You’re on this Netflix show and I’m not even really in it, it’s just a few seconds. It was just enough that anybody that knows me, that watched it, recognized me instantly, from family to friends. I don’t know how to react when I’m asked about it because I was just doing my job, but it’s kind of a fun thing to know I am briefly in a Netflix show.”