Opinion: Summer can be academically productive

Summer vacation can be a time to get ahead for students who so desire.

Rahmin Jawaid

Parker Butler, WTV Staff Reporter

With the end of school still fresh in the minds of most people on campus, investment in an academic future is the last thing most people are thinking of. Many students might get summer jobs or go out of town, which are, admittedly, great ways to pass the time. But have no fear, I’m here to tell you the most worthwhile (and yes, boring) thing you can do during this long, three month stretch of relaxation — is go to school.

There are various ways you can knock out some mandatory credits in Frisco ISD via summer school, whether it’s health or speech.

For those of you students who are further ahead and looking towards your college future, there’s plenty of opportunities at your fingertips. All it takes is a bit of determination and foresight.

College Board, the organization that manages the renowned Advanced Placement program, has plenty of designated workshops/institutions in Plano for classes including economics, computer science, literature, history, psychology, and dozens more. If you want to ensure you get the college credit and are interested in a career in one of the given subjects, this is something you can be sure you will not regret.

For students who know they’re taking an AP class in the 2016-2017 school year and are interested in personal study options, you might as well invest in your AP Study Book for that class ahead of time because they’re gonna ask that you get one in a few months regardless. Dedicate an hour or two a week to knowing the basic concepts of each unit and you’ll help yourself in the future when the inevitable and painstaking mound of homework and studying arrives.

The keyword here is voluntary. Push yourself, but don’t stress yourself. Summer is a time for relaxation, but it’s important to be aware of what is to come and to be more than prepared. Create some flashcards and research some career opportunities — stay ahead of the curve and you’ll find that you won’t regret it when the next school year ultimately arrives.