Fewer lunches, more time

A uniform bell schedule leads to reduction of lunch periods on campus

With administration showing some leniency, some students have begun playing music out loud while enjoying their food.

The lunch schedule has changed from five lunches last year to four lunches in 2015-16 as the Frisco ISD has moved to a uniform bell schedule for all high schools to accommodate students who travel to a different campus or the CTE. This has led to more students per each lunch period with adjustments having to be made to seating space in the cafeteria this week.

It is nice to actually be able to finish my lunch.

— sophomore Samantha Wood

“A lunch on the first day was really packed, so we brought in extra tables and chairs to get us through the lunches,” assistant principal Kristen Sommers said. “Mrs. Rainwater (associate principal Ashley Rainwater) tried to make the lunch schedule as balanced as possible. Once we get through the first couple of days, we can see which lunches were good and which lunches need to be improved.”

What are your thoughts on this year's new lunch schedule?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

The lunches have also been extended as well as the passing period between lunches because of the shifted lunches.

“Students and teachers have a longer lunch,” Sommers said. “So instead of having a 25 minute lunch with a two minute passing period, to a 30 minute lunch with a three minute passing period.”

Although there was a lack of seating the first few days and extra tables and seats had to brought in, the lunches have been running smoother because of the extra time between lunches. But more students per each lunch period has led to longer lines.

“The lines are somewhat longer, but overall I like that we have a longer lunch and break periods between,” sophomore Samantha Wood said. “I get to spend more time with my friends during lunch, and it is nice to actually be able to finish my lunch.”