• First day of school is August 21

• Wingspan is on summer vacation but check back for occasional updates

Say it Louder: sophomore year

Opinion editor Emma Crampton shares her thoughts on various topics in her weekly column.

With the 2016-2017 school year coming to a close, I am starting to look back and reflect on the occurrences this year brought. Although this was possibly the fastest school year I’ve ever experienced, the most change also happened to me. I feel as though I am mentally a completely different person then I was this time last year.

Before I began my high school career, everyone would always rave on and on about how it ends in the blink of an eye. I found it hard to believe at the time that four whole years could go by so fast. Now that I am halfway done with high school, however, I know exactly what they meant. From the time I entered the school’s doors for the first time in 2015 to now, it feels like hardly any time at all has passed. Despite that, from then to now I have also gone through the most changes as a person and learned the most lessons than any other point in my life thus far.

One of the many thing I learned this year was you can always bounce back when you have a setback. I started sophomore year out by putting way too many things on my plate and just assuming I would have the time and energy to handle it all. This caused my GPA to drop and my stress level to rise. From this, I had to teach myself self evaluation. It is okay to admit that something is too much for you to handle; everyone has different limits. I also had to learn how to recover from this. From experiencing a drop in grades and being able to come back from it increased my work ethic

Morally, I have discovered a lot about myself as well. I found out that you become who you surround yourself with, so I began to surround myself with who I want to be more like. I have opened my mind to more options as to what I want myself to be.

Even though this year was rough on me both inside and outside of school, I learned the most about myself.