School district begins rezoning process

With the decision to delay the opening of Memorial High School, the school district will have to do some rezoning of attendance areas. On Thursday, the district sent home a letter to parents explaining the procedure and how parents could offer their input.

Maddie Owens

Olivia Kirklin, Editor-in-chief

The FISD Demographic Team will be sending out a letter to parents of East Frisco on Thursday regarding the current rezoning information as a result of the decision not to open Memorial High in 2017. The letter will list zone modifications that could impact the campus and provide local residents with information on how they can provide input after the initial board meeting on December 12.

On Monday, the FISD Board of Trustees determined the adjustment will only impact incoming 9th graders and would allow the district to postpone the need for the 11th high school for at least one more year.

“Our goal in sending out these letters to the families potentially impacted by this rezoning proposal is to inform and to provide them the opportunity to give us their input on this proposal,” FISD Director of Special Projects Shana Wortham said. “We want them to know they can reach out to us with any questions or concerns; all input will be shared with the Board of Trustees. We also want them to know of the opportunity to speak directly to the Board in December and to know that a final decision will not be made until January after considering all input.”

Final zoning decisions will be made at the January 17 board meeting, but the board will periodically receive weekly updates of citizen input.

screen-shot-2016-11-17-at-2-59-55-pm