• DECA’s first meeting is August 30 at 8:30 a.m. or 4:15 p.m. in C243

• Boys soccer tryouts (for those not currently in the class) are Nov. 28-30 after school on the turf field. See Coach Kaiser in room C112

• CTE Center’s FISD mock trial team will hold an information meeting over the try-out process on August 31 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the CTE Center

• Monday is the first day of school with 1st period beginning at 9:00 a.m.

Racing to regionals

The track teams are competing at Standridge Stadium on Thursday in the area meet.

Mady Daddario

Keegan Williams, Sports Editor

Both the girls’ and boys’ track teams are competing in the area meet at Standridge Stadium in Carrollton on Thursday.

“We hope to PR in all of relays and advance to Regionals,” junior Christian Palmer said. “We have been putting in 110% at every practice and staying focused. A huge part of our relays is our handoffs so we have been working on them a lot”

The team will spend all day competing in various events, in hopes of moving on to the  Regional meet.

“What’s different this year is that since the beginning of the year we split into groups: long distance, sprinters, throwers, jumpers, and hurdlers,” senior Eryka Anderson said. “Practice looks so organized and put together we all genuinely want to be there and put in work”

Running the 110 hurdles, 300 hurdles and 4×400, Palmer has been working all season to ensure he does his best in the events.

“I’m going to do my best and hopefully I’ll succeed in everything I do,” Palmer said. “We’ve been practicing every day, doing more weightlifting and just really going hard everyday trying to improve”

Despite the high level of competition at the meet, the team looks at it no differently than they would any other.

“It’s a little different than regular meets,” Palmer said. “But our coach gets us in the mentality that we’re at the top of our region and we need to stay there and whoever’s there we can win.”