• Orchestra Spring Concert Monday at 7 p.m. in the auditorium

• Band Spring Concert Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the auditorium

• Color Guard tryouts May 21-24

• Band's Spring Swing is Saturday from 6-9 p.m. in the cafeteria

• ISM Final Presentation Night Friday starting at 6 p.m. in the cafeteria

• State track results: Carrie Fish takes 2nd in 1,600 and 3rd in the 3,200; Nissi Kabongo finished 5th in high jump

Racing to regionals

The track teams are competing at Standridge Stadium on Thursday in the area meet.

Mady Daddario

Keegan Williams, Sports Editor

Both the girls’ and boys’ track teams are competing in the area meet at Standridge Stadium in Carrollton on Thursday.

“We hope to PR in all of relays and advance to Regionals,” junior Christian Palmer said. “We have been putting in 110% at every practice and staying focused. A huge part of our relays is our handoffs so we have been working on them a lot”

The team will spend all day competing in various events, in hopes of moving on to the  Regional meet.

“What’s different this year is that since the beginning of the year we split into groups: long distance, sprinters, throwers, jumpers, and hurdlers,” senior Eryka Anderson said. “Practice looks so organized and put together we all genuinely want to be there and put in work”

Running the 110 hurdles, 300 hurdles and 4×400, Palmer has been working all season to ensure he does his best in the events.

“I’m going to do my best and hopefully I’ll succeed in everything I do,” Palmer said. “We’ve been practicing every day, doing more weightlifting and just really going hard everyday trying to improve”

Despite the high level of competition at the meet, the team looks at it no differently than they would any other.

“It’s a little different than regular meets,” Palmer said. “But our coach gets us in the mentality that we’re at the top of our region and we need to stay there and whoever’s there we can win.”