• DECA’s first meeting is August 30 at 8:30 a.m. or 4:15 p.m. in C243

• Tennis plays at Reedy Tuesday at 4:00 p.m.

• Boys soccer tryouts (for those not currently in the class) are Nov. 28-30 after school on the turf field. See Coach Kaiser in room C112

• CTE Center’s FISD mock trial team will hold an information meeting over the try-out process on August 31 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the CTE Center

• Monday is the first day of school with 1st period beginning at 9:00 a.m.

Track and field athletes leave for state meet

Eight track and field athletes seeking state championships headed to the University of Texas at Austin Thursday for the UIL Track and Field State Meet.

“I’m really excited,” head girls track coach Amanda Byers said. “This is the most girls that I’ve brought to the state meet here at Liberty so I’m excited to see all of them compete. I think it’s going to be a great two days of competition.”

it feels great to have a secure spot this year,”

— junior Carrie Fish

All of athletes, including junior Carrie Fish are making their first trip to this meet.

“It’s great because last year I missed it by point something seconds and because I was third so it was a wild card spot so it feels great to have a secure spot this year,” Fish said.

One of the top relays in the Dallas area, the 4×400 relay team featuring Isaiah Palmer, Christian Palmer, Daniel Lescay and Josh Holden finished second in 5A Region II meet. For senior Isaiah Palmer, the final preparations are more mental than physical.

“I try to just focus on my breathing and try to get focused,” Palmer said. “If it’s a big meet, I think nervousness is normal, but I try to let it all go and just find a place of peace.”

The girls’ team has also been using their time wisely to keep in top shape for the big race.

Really put all of my mind and energy into it, and run the best race that I can run,”

— senior Isaiah Palmer

“Just kind of the same practices that we’ve had before,” Byers said. “Trying to make sure that they stay healthy and injury free and push but not too hard in practice.”

Sophomore Nissi Kabongo who qualified for two events, the high jump and the 800 meter expects the state meet to be a challenge.

“It’s going to be hard. They’re different events so I have to prepare differently,” Kabongo said. “For jumping, I have to work on my form and my run. For each event requires a different training because the 800 is mid distance but they require different physical training for them.”

Knowing it’s the final meet of the year, the athletes are ready to give it their all.

“Really put all of my mind and energy into it,” Palmer said. “And run the best race that I can run.”