• Summer vacation June 4-August 15

• First day of school is Thursday, August 16

Freshman Flight School set to launch Wednesday

Freshmen gather in the cafeteria with their friends before the tour and presentations begin.
(August 14, 2015)

Freshmen gather in the cafeteria with their friends before the tour and presentations begin. (August 14, 2015)

Sarah Philips

Sarah Philips

Brooke Colombo, Editor-in-chief

Incoming freshman have the opportunity to explore clubs and organizations at Wednesday’s Freshman Flight School from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.

The event will be held in different locations throughout the school and acts as an orientation to students about to start their first year of high school.

“[Freshman] will be able to get a tour of the school to help them find their way around better, and be given presentations that will give them tips and tricks about the school,” student council president Jeffery Nebeker said. “They’ll have a better understanding that Liberty is an environment where people aren’t always studying, but can also have a fun time.”

Transitioning from middle school to high school can be nerve-wracking for some freshmen and Wednesday’s Flight School can help ease some anxiety.

“I want to become more familiar with the school and learn my way around,” freshman Sydney Andros said. “It will make me feel more comfortable moving into a different environment, and make going to high school a little easier.”

Flight School will also feature more than a dozen clubs and organizations which will be on site to provide information to freshmen.

“We would like all students to be given the opportunity to participate in clubs and organizations,” principal Ashley Rainwater said. “It allows them to meet other students and supports our core value of community.”

Among the featured clubs at Wednesday’s Freshman Flight School are: Computer Science Club, DECA, HOSA, Wingspan, Culture and Cuisine Club, Book Club, Best Buddies, Ted Ed, NHSDA, Rotary Interact, National Art Honor Society, Engineering Club, Chess Club, Academic Decathlon, Theater, UNICEF, Dancing For A Cause, Youth and Government, Toastmasters, Key Club, Strategy Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, GSA, and JWAC.

Brooke Colombo, Editor-in-chief
Brooke Colombo is Editor-in-Chief of Wingspan, and has been involved in journalism since her freshman year. It’s been a year now, and present Brooke still isn’t 100 percent sure of what she’s doing with her life. In addition to Wingspan, Brooke is involved in the school’s varsity choir, and especially enjoys singing a good ol’...