• Historically Black Colleges and Universities College Fair Wednesday at Heritage High School

• 5th 6 week grading period ends April 20

• UIL academic team finishes 7th in 5A Region II meet

Campus travel delays students

Students taking classes at the CTE Center often come back to their campus classes a little after the bell due to transportation.

Eilidh McGarva

Amelia Pirrello, Guest Contributor

Students this year taking classes at the Career and Technical Education Center are missing class time back at their home campuses because of scheduling conflicts between the two facilities.

“I arrive late to my next class all the time,” freshman Angelina Gomez said. “So far right now [it is not hurting my grades]. If there is a test and I come back 15 minutes late then I’m going to have to make up that time.”

The CTE Center has tried to decrease the amount of time students are missing in their classes by staggering the bell schedules between their campus and home campuses but the busses are still getting back to school 5-10 minutes after the next class has started.

“It is not so much [of a distraction] to me but I think it’s a distraction for [the students coming in late],” English teacher Carla Falick said. “I feel bad for [them].”

While the students are not counted tardy, they are still missing class time.

“The kids coming in late are not really a distraction,” Algebra teacher Kathryn Schalla said. “They are all really good about coming in quiet.”

The time needed for transportation between campuses is not limited to just the CTE Center.

“It’s just the way the scheduling is, with the CTE-because some of those kids that come in late actually come from other campuses to go to classes that we offer here,” assistant principal Jason Harris said. “Our sister campus is Centennial so we work with them so it’s not just CTE classes.”