Fish makes her fourth and final appearance at state

Making it once to state is the goal for most high school athletes, but for senior Carrie Fish, Saturday will be her fourth and final time as she competes in the UIL cross country state meet in Round Rock at Old Settlers Park.  

“It’s really sad,” Carrie said. “I’m super excited to run. I’m really sad because this is going to be my last race running for Liberty cross country. I’m also very excited to see how we will do. I really want to get top three as a team again because that was such a good experience last year. Personally I really want to get top three for sure. I’m mainly just going for place.”

provided by Carrie Fish
Taking first in several meets, senior Carrie Fish is making her fourth straight trip to the state meet. Fish will continue her running career at Texas A&M next fall.

Despite her success in cross country winning numerous meets over the years, Carrie was a two sport athlete before she quit soccer her sophomore year.

“I just have a competitive drive so I really liked the competitiveness of the sport and how its individualized but it’s also team oriented,” Carrie said. “I like both. I really liked racing, I like the rush I get while racing. Sophomore year is when I actually started focusing on running because I ended up quitting soccer to do running. That was when I truly realized I think I wanted to do but I didn’t think I wanted to do it in college until last year.”

As a senior, she has helped guide the girls’ team to another appearance at state while also stepping up in other ways.

“Ever since last year being new she really took over the leader role of the team and she always encouraged everyone and pushed everyone to be the best they can and use ability to make sure we were all pushing ourselves and doing the best we can to keep up with her and follow in her footsteps,” sophomore Amelia Jauregui said. “I look up to Carrie a lot. She’s like a sister figure. She’s always been there helping me, giving me tips and I would love to one day run at college like she has committed to.”

With a 5k PR time of 17.30, Carrie’s has served as a role model for not only her teammates, but her siblings as well.

“Well last year I did do cross country because she inspired me to do it but I realized it wasn’t my sport,” sister Kristen Fish said. “So now I play soccer and she pushes me to do the best I can because she’s practicing and training really hard and she’s succeeding and now getting into college for the sport so that’s kind of who I can look up to.”

provided by Carrie Fish
Making her way over a ditch in her sophomore year, Carrie Fish led the way for all varsity girls 5A and under in the Southlake Invitational. Fish finished the course in 19:17:54

As a four year varsity runner, Carrie has made her mark on the team.

“It’s been fun coaching Carrie,” head girls cross country coach Amanda Zambiasi said. “I’ll be sad to see her graduate. She’s a very internally motivated kid but also kind of goofy and has fun so she’s fun to coach. It’s sad that we won’t have her in cross country because she is such a leader but exciting for her because I know that she has big things ahead of her for college.”

Running at Texas A&M next year, Carrie will walk up to the starting line in her last high school meet with the support of her mom.

“I’ve just been very proud of her the way she’s been able to succeed with all the hard work she’s put into it,” mom Pam Fish said. “I was very excited and very proud of her because she’s made it all four years and I’m excited to see what she’s going to be able to accomplish at it.”

With her high school cross country career just three miles from being over, Carrie is ready for the new challenge.

“I’m super excited to have a new start,” Carrie said. “I really love all of the girls and the team. There is going to be a lot more good runners. I’m going to have to get used to not being the best, so it’s going to be a different atmosphere.”

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...