• No school Monday for MLK Jr. Day

• Frisco ISD Choir Festival at Stonebriar Community Church Saturday from 3-5 p.m.

Social launches orchestra into break

Social launches orchestra into break

With the conclusion of the Winter Extravaganza, orchestra wraps up their fall semester with a social today after school.

Wade Glover

Wade Glover

Wade Glover

Shreya Jagan, Guest Contributor

With Winter Extravaganza over, orchestra is ending the fall semester with a social Friday after school bring the entire program together before the school’s two week break.

“I think it’s good to make bonds with your fellow classmates and even meet new people that are in different orchestras,” freshman Keenan Serrao said. “It’s just a good way to relax and chill out, especially with all the stress that students get from school.”

The social also provides opportunities for the teachers to get to know their students better and spend time with them.

“We like hanging out with you guys,” orchestra director Julie Blackstock said. “I mean, that’s the whole point of our socials is to make it feel like a community and a family for people when they don’t have many friends anywhere else.”

Friday’s event also gives students a chance to talk to people with the same interest as them.

“The socials help us become more connected,” Serrao said. “Not just with people in the same orchestra but across the board from all the levels of orchestra.”

Designed to allow students to be themselves, Blackstock hopes Friday’s social makes students feel included and safe.

“Interesting, entertaining, and inclusive,” Blackstock said. “Because that’s what we try to do around here.