Featured Athlete: Diego Lorenso

Featured Athlete: Diego Lorenso

Diego Lorenso pins down an opponent in one of his many wins this season. With his father as his inspiration, Lorenso hopes to make his way back to state in his final year of high school

Photo used with permission from @RehawksWrestle

Grade: 12 | Sport: Wrestling

Wingspan: How long have you been in wrestling and what inspired you to start it?

Lorenso: “I’ve been wrestling for two years and my inspiration is probably going to be my dad. He wrestled in high school and I thought to myself I would like to try as many sports as I can before I die and wrestling you can’t really wrestle as an old man because that’s illegal but you can play basketball, soccer when your older but you can’t really wrestle and I wanted to give it a shot and that’s how I got into wrestling.”

Wingspan: What fuels your passion to continue to pursue wrestling?

Lorenso: “Probably just the idea of success. Wrestling gets really personal and so it’s just you and the other guy, so if you lose it’s on you and if you lose it can be humiliating so I guess that’s my motivation. It’s just, there is no greater feeling than getting your hand raised after the match. If you lose then your kind of just like everyone is just like laughing at you in the crowd because your the guy that got pinned while your squirming on your back, so it just feels really good to win.”

Wingspan: What do you enjoy most about the sport?

Lorenso: “I definitely enjoy the team. I believe we have, I’m sure every team will say this, but I believe we have the best group of guys and girls there everyone supports each other. If you look at the matches, and look at another school, every other school it will just be their kids wrestling. If you see a Liberty wrestler on the mat, you will also see a gigantic corner of our the entire team cheering them on just going absolutely nuts and that’s amazing I think.”

Wingspan: What is the most challenging thing about the sport?

Lorenso: “Probably just the amount of time and sweat and dedication it takes, like the mat room I swear is like 100 degrees sometimes, like in reality it’s probably like I don’t know, only 70 but like you see the guys coming out and it looks like they just went swimming. We have to do practices in the mornings and practices after school and yeah it’s tough and it takes a lot of experience I guess you could say.”

Wingspan: What is something you want to improve on?

Lorenso: “I probably need to improve on on my quickness. I’m in a larger weight classes and as a result I’m kinda heavy footed and if i could get faster and quicker, well not faster, but like lateral movement quickness, it’s like just scrambling, if you look at the lighter weight classes, they are very quick, very scrambly, and incorporate that into my match that would be very nice.”

Wingspan: What do you do to prepare for matches? What hypes you up?

Lorenso: “To prepare for my matches I have a routine when I get in the hole I do exactly 10 jumping jacks, exactly 10 pushups, and two nutcrackers, that’s where you basically just swing your leg two of those for each leg forward and backwards, and when I get on deck I will take off my warmup and put on my singlet and do some positive self talk and tell myself I got this. Building up my confidence is 90 percent of the battle, and if you think you’re going to lose before you walk out there, you’re going to lose.”

Katharina Santos, Staff Reporter

Katharina Santos is a senior and staff reporter for Wingspan. She is a member of NHS and president of 3:16 Bible Study. You can often find her sipping...