Redhawks aiming to pin down state championships

Making+the+five+hour+drive+by+school+bus+to+Cypress+for+the+state+wrestling+team%2C+10+Redhawks+are+going+for+state+championships+Friday+and+Saturday.+Both+the+boys+and+girls+teams+are+each+sending+five+wrestlers+with+the+girls+entering+the+weekend+as+the+regional+champions+and+the+boys+team+coming+off+a+6th+place+finish+at+the+regional+meet.+

used with permission from @RedhawksWrestle

Making the five hour drive by school bus to Cypress for the state wrestling team, 10 Redhawks are going for state championships Friday and Saturday. Both the boys’ and girls’ teams are each sending five wrestlers with the girls entering the weekend as the regional champions and the boys’ team coming off a 6th place finish at the regional meet.

Katharina Santos, Staff Reporter

10 wrestlers are in Cypress to compete in the UIL State Tournament with first round and quarterfinal matches Friday, and semifinals and finals on Saturday.

Going into his last high school tournament, senior Austin Widner is relying on what brought him  success in the past.

“In preparation, I’ve really just been working hard like always,” he said. “What I do has gotten me this far so there’s no need to change it now.”

For seniors, this could be the last time they step foot on the mat as their last season comes to a close.

“As a senior this year, I’m going all out in every one of my matches,” senior Savannah West said. “This is my last tournament of my wrestling career and I’m going to to put it all out there.”