From real to fake, several Frisco ISD schools moving to turf

For decades, many major league baseball stadiums featured artificial turf. But over the years, the number has dramatically dropped with just three stadiums currently using it.

It would be a lot less work and on a turf field all we have to do is make sure its not torn up,”

— junior Alex Garza

However, three Frisco ISD schools are going to switch from grass to artificial turf. Reedy, Independence and Frisco high schools be home this summer to the district’s three new baseball fields featuring artificial turf.

One reason for the switch turf: North Texas weather in the late winter and early spring.

“Going back to last week we got rained out Tuesday and we had to practice indoor not only Tuesday but Wednesday as well,” baseball head coach Scott McGarrh said. “If we had turf we would be able get outside and get a full practice. Also it would help the sub-varsity, when we get rain, sub-varsity usually goes home at the bell because we don’t have enough room for them to practice. And if we had a turf field, sub-varsity would be able to have a normal practice on the field and the sub-varsity kids would get more time to workout.”

Players see switching fields to artificial turf as a good investment to minimize rainouts and field maintenance.

“It would be much easier,” junior Alex Garza said. “Currently we have to do a ton of stuff like get all the tarps out, rake out the cuts, we have to hula hoe just like when grass grows on the field so it would be a lot less work and on  a turf field all we have to do is make sure its not torn up.”

Although rainouts and maintenance are a significant factor in the move to turf fields, the artificial playing surface improves the quality of play for junior Travis Waggoner.

The turf it’s pretty uniform so it predictable where the balls going to bounce,”

— junior Travis Waggoner

“I think it’s just overall easier because you get a competitive advantage in the workplace,” Waggoner said. “I mean the turf it’s pretty uniform so it predictable where the balls going to bounce, and even on our field where we have smooth dirt it can still take a bad hop an you’re going to miss it so I think it’s just overall easier to field on turf.”

Although upfront cost and installation time is high, maintenance is minimal.

“There is some maintenance you got to continue putting black pellets down and putting rubber down and brooming it in, but you know the maintenance is far less than if would be on a grass field,” McGarrh said. “You know it’s maybe after a game you do the pitchers mound and batters box and it takes 10 to 15 minutes where we have to hula hoe and water and edge and sweep and you know after a game when were done it take us 30 to 45 minutes to get the field done and then we’re straight tin the weight room.”