Making movies to understand the past

Making movies to understand the past

Humanities classes take a break from traditional essays and notes to create a documentary. After writing individual research speeches, students are allowed to work together to complete the project.

Perry Mellone

Perry Mellone

Perry Mellone

Katharina Santos, Staff Reporter

Humanities teachers incorporated film into their lesson plans on Monday as students turn history topics into a documentary.

“They are focusing on the key concepts of the Modern Era, which are globalization and colonization,” Humanities teacher Elizabeth Evans said. “After researching their topic they will present their findings in either a historical fiction film or a documentary. ”

Students are being placed into groups to complete their presentations, which is something Evans hopes will allow students to work together to grasp the content.

“They each are writing an individual research speech first so they’ll have to delve deep into an aspect of it,” Evans said. “After, they will come together into groups to synthesize that information.”

For sophomore Madeline Guanio, exploring the various ways of obtaining and presenting information is more effective than a traditional lesson plan.

“This project is really effective in helping me apply what I’m learning and teaching me how to focus on obtaining the information,” she said. “Being told everything we need to know doesn’t always work for everyone so I really enjoy getting to apply and research the information in different ways than we’re used to.”

Katharina Santos, Staff Reporter

Katharina Santos is a senior and staff reporter for Wingspan. She is a member of NHS and president of 3:16 Bible Study. You can often find her sipping...