Voting open for 2019-2020

Voting open for 2019-2020

Campaigning for StuCo, the candidates have posters all over school. Two female students are running for the student council presidency for the first time in four years.

Sydney Bishop, Guest Contributor

For the first time in more than four years, the two candidates running for student council president are both female. Juniors Rileigh Horcher and Emma Hancock are campaigning this week in the hope of taking over for current StuCo president, senior, Wade Glover, as voting opened Thursday at 9:00 a.m.

“I love being apart of the community that our past presidents have built and I would be honored to continue their legacy,” Horcher said. “I want to make everyone feel welcome and excited to be apart of the Redhawk nation.”

It’s a sentiment shared by Hancock as well.

“I am 100 percent willing to put in the work this position requires and I love to serve,” Hancock said. “I think servant leadership is one of the most important qualities a leader can have and as president, I would strive every day to put the needs and best interest of the student body before my own.”

With voting closing Friday at 4:15 p.m., the week has been filled with campaigning from both Hancock and Horcher with posters, stickers, and even candy, being used by the candidates.

But regardless of the outcome, both candidates are supportive of each other.

“Win or lose I’m so honored to have gotten this far,” Horcher said. “I’m so excited for next year. Emma and I have been friends since the fourth grade, so we are so supportive and excited for each other no matter the outcome”

“I have been friends with Rileigh for a long time and I think we are both very qualified for this position,” Hancock said. “Running against someone really keeps you on your toes and I like that. It challenges me to think outside of the box and to be creative. I really have to be on top of my game. In the end though, I have to remember that all I can do is my best and what is meant to be will be.”

About the Photographer
Prachurjya Shreya, Managing Editor

Shreya is a senior and this is her fourth year in wingspan. As a senior, she finds almost everyone annoying and hates when underclassmen accidentally touch...