Learning Spanish through music and dance

Spanish+2+Pre-AP+classes+are+learning+about+the+culture+through+music+and+dances.+%E2%80%9CWe+have+a+special+theme+where+they+make+a+real+world+connection+toward+it%2C%E2%80%9D+Spanish+teacher+Patricia+Flores+said.+

Spanish 2 Pre-AP classes are learning about the culture through music and dances. “We have a special theme where they make a real world connection toward it,” Spanish teacher Patricia Flores said.

Shreya Jagan, Guest Contributor

Learning more than just vocabulary and grammar, Spanish 2 Pre-AP classes are diving in deeper to the culture of Spanish speaking countries with students being asked to research a country and learn its traditional music and dances.

“We have a special theme where they make a real world connection toward it,” Spanish teacher Patricia Flores said. “In this case, students had to find one country that they were interested in and had to understand its culture, recreate that country’s famous dance, and find some way to tie it into the United States.”

Designed to help students expand their learning of Spanish as a whole, students are continuing to present their findings to the class Monday and Tuesday.

“I like the idea of having something different to do instead of reading and doing worksheets,” freshman Shray Jain said. “The project allowed us to be creative and make the project our own in a sense.”

Unlike other projects, this one may do more than teach a lesson.

“Most people are shy and don’t really like being on camera,” freshman Harshini Gogineni said. “We had to record ourselves dancing, and a lot of people worry about the opinions of others. So, I think this project really helps the shy people show who they are underneath that people don’t usually see. For me, since I usually am very wary about everybody else and how they see me, the project helped me become a little more open.”