Filed under News

Police interaction at the core of newly implemented legislation

Freshman learn what to, and not to do, when dealing with law enforcement

Freshmen were met with a chance to learn more about police interaction during geography classes from Monday to Wednesday. The presentations are part of House Bill 30, which was designed to inform students about this topic.

Alyssa Murphy

Alyssa Murphy

Alyssa Murphy

Learning how to interact with police is part of the lesson plans in geography classes Wednesday through Monday as House Bill 30, passed in 2017, is being implemented on campus. The program begins with students watching a video Wednesday or Thursday, followed by a visit from Frisco PD school resource officer Glen Hubbard on Friday or Monday.  

A lot of people don’t know how to act during a traffic stop, because they’ve never been involved in one, this should help most people out and make it a less stressful situation,”

— school resource officer Glen Hubbard

“It’s gonna show scenarios on how to interact with the police, what questions asked, where to park your car, your general rights, what rights you have and you don’t have and then answering questions that you might have regarding interaction with a police officer, during traffic stop or anytime you may call one,” Hubbard said. “It’s generally an information deal for new drivers, that hasn’t been presented before because a lot of people don’t know how to act during a traffic stop, because they’ve never been involved in one, this should help most people out and make it a less stressful situation.”

Instruction on Senate Bill 30 must include information regarding the role of law enforcement and the duties and responsibilities with peace officers, proper behavior, laws regarding questioning and detention by peace officers, and how and where to file a complaint against, or a compliment on behalf of a peace officer.

In today’s society we see so many issues regarding police brutality and young adults behaving ‘unsophisticated’ when being pulled over simply because we have not been educated properly on the subject,”

— freshman Katie Stone

“In today’s society we see so many issues regarding police brutality and young adults behaving ‘unsophisticated’ when being pulled over simply because we have not been educated properly on the subject,” freshman Katie Stone said. “However, this new idea of teaching teenagers how to handle these certain situations is going to be tremendously beneficial because it allows for us to become more experienced with cooperating and respecting officers.”

With the end of the school year quickly approaching and many freshmen at, or nearing the age of getting a permit, freshman Advik Dixit says it’s a good time for the instruction.

“I think it’s more beneficial because as freshman, many of us are starting to get our permits,” Dixit said. “So having this bill already gives students more prior knowledge that way when they go on to drive on highways and all that stuff, they at least know how to be more careful.”

Aliza Porter, Assignment Editor

Aliza Porter is currently a senior. She likes to spread positivity. She loves to exercise and do kickboxing in her free time. She has a huge passion for...