Wingspan welcomes new online entertainment

Juleanna Culilap

For the 2019-20 school year, Wingspan will feature new blogs, column, podcasts, and segments in order to cover a variety of different perspectives and opinions on campus. Wingspan’s online news site plans to further their student reach with new social media accounts including a TikTok.

A new school year brings new featured content from the Wingspan website. While most students on campus tune in for The Daily Update with teachers asked to play it during second period, the online side of wingspan offers at least 6 new posts a day, one for every section: News, Campus Life, Multimedia, Opinion, Sports, and Arts and Entertainment. 

For the 2019-20 school year, Wingspan will feature new weekly columns such as Simply Shreya and Monday with Ms. Marvel as well as new blogs and podcasts. 

“I think all these different columns show different voices that aren’t normally heard campus wide,” junior and Managing Editor Aaron Boehmer said. “It represents the diversity of our school and shows that there are different high school experiences.”

From politics to food to relatable topics on campus, Wingspan works to cover it all.

Being ranked as one of the top high school journalism programs in the country with awards such as the 2019 NSPA Online Pacemaker as well as the Dallas Morning News High School Journalism Contest Best Website Finalist in 2019, Wingspan continues to set the expectations higher.

Looking to reach more students on campus, the program has created both TikTok and a Meme account in addition to already existing social media accounts on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.

“We’re trying something new this year with Instagram, Wingspan now has a meme page that’s a more light hearted approach to things going on around the school that students can relate to,” senior and Editor-in-chief Lucas Barr said.